Saturday, July 30, 2005

Tsunami!

Had NDP today as usual, a usual start to a very unusual day. Started out with the normal opening of the container and removing all the needed stores for the day. Went about setting up all the points and the command post, which took a little more than an hour…after which, the person in charge of the point had to arrange all the bottles of water on the bench/table depending on what the point uses. For a visual idea, look at the previous NDP post. You will get the idea. Find the task pretty bo liao, but I got to follow orders.

Once I was done doing that, the sky began getting dark and there was a cool wind blowing. It didn’t look like it was going to rain though, the place was relatively bright still. This was when the amazing or rather scary thing started. The wind started picking up just as the place suddenly grew dim. Then as the rain began to pour, the wind picked up again. This wind got so strong till it started taking my tentage apart! The concrete blocks each weighing about 40-50kg seem to “float” and then shifted towards me. Then the canvas on the tentage gave way and blew off. All this took about 10 mins but it seemed like an hr. The longest 10 mins of my life. Later I learnt that the tentage I was in was one of the more lucky ones. There were 3 more upriver that were completely destroyed. Guess that the canvas giving way was in some way a blessing in disguise. The tentages that were destroys had the canvas intact all the way. Later surveying the damage after the rain, I felt lucky that day. The wind uprooted trees, a stone bench and took out 3 street lamps. There was a concrete block attached to what remained of a tentage, all stuck in a tree. Too bad I don’t have pictures, the policed sealed the area off.

Then later in the day, another weird thing occurred. I found a bull frog sitting on the edge of the river bank! The funny thing was that the river was saltwater while the frog is the fresh water kind found in restaurants here. Still wondering how it got there. Anyway, me being me, picked up the frog, much to the amusement of a lot of people amidst the screams from the girls who saw me doing so. Haha… Went around holding the frog in my hand, there were the curious, never seen/touched a frog before; and the plain see and scream their head off people. The rest were just too stunned to react. But I must say, suddenly being surrounded by girls is an interesting feeling, abet them more interested in the frog then me, and being much too young for my taste. Perhaps Mr. Tan might be interested? Heh heh heh… =X

For the benefit of those who cannot visualise what a frog looks like:




Ribbit!



There was this incek who asked mi to stuff the frog into his pocket, aka magician wannabe. Haha… Make a frog appear from his pocket? Haha… Anyway, had more fun going around and asking if the girls would like to find out if that frog was their prince charming. Not one took up the offer. Then there was this one who asked mi to kiss the frog, maybe it was a female frog and would become a princess? If a girl had frog origins, well then, keep away from me. I got my own tadpoles. Anyway, as for the fate of the frog, it’s sitting on some corner of the padang I think. Let the incek release it for me. I think one frog would not have been enough for me to make porridge anyway. Frog Leg Porridge. Yum…

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful, save for the fireworks later in the night. Going to sleep now. Ciao.

No comments: