Monday, November 21, 2005

Crippled

I’ve been having an okay week this week, getting a guard duty on Sun, going on off on Mon, and off again on Wed, ensuring that I worked only a 3 day week this week. If only every week was like that. On top of that, I got a new pet in the form of a python that they caught walking in the airfield after the rain on wed. On second thought, if they caught me a python every week, I would be running Singapore’s next snake/python park. I’ll take the 3 day work week only minus the python. One is good enough. All went well, with flying being pretty acceptable this week, not too overloaded.

Then came Sat, had a lot of chores planned to be done. Went for basketball first in the morning, which was fun. I was finally getting a larger portion of my shots into the basket, when I was jumping for the ball, and came down hard and landed wrongly, hurting my ankle. I can say that single moment really spoilt the rest of my weekend; one was because I ended up spending the rest of my Sat in the hospital waiting for my name to be called.

I headed home after the injury to take a bath before making my way to NUH. I started to regret that decision quickly after I arrived. The persons manning the door were very nice, and so were most of the staff. But I must say, the staff apart from the doctors, were majority foreigners for some strange reason. All the reports on large uptake of nursing courses have suddenly seemed to be but a dream. The cute part was at triage, where I was attended to by a nurse. The nurse was not cute; it was the way she did things. She first hooked me up to a blood pressure/heart rate machine, then after determining that my ankle was injured, asked me to remove my shoes whilst still connected to the machine, an impossible task, unless I was going to drag the machine to the floor by its short wires. The next thing was even cuter. She took my temperature, then after continuing her examination for a while, asked me if I had a fever! I felt like saying: “Hello~, you took my temperature and after taking it can have the cheek to ask me if I’m having a fever???” But all the pain did not manage to get me fired up enough for me to say that, and I decided to let it go and tell her No.

After all the checks were done, I was informed that there was a small bone fragment in my ankle, and so my leg is now in a splint, at least for the next week or so, effectively making me crippled. In case you don’t know what a splint is, think of it as a cast, with only the back being hard and the rest made out of bandage. I will upload a pic. once I get hardworking. Hee… Got myself a pair of crutches, and trust me when I say that getting around with those things, is not an easy task. I’m literary hopping everywhere I go. It is a pretty tiring affair, what used to be a short 30sec walk can take me up to 2-3 mins, that is if the floor is flat. Taking a bath is also a pain, with a plastic bag taped around my leg because the splint cannot get wet. Try hopping on a wet surface; you’ll get a rough idea. Sleeping is another thing. It is simply not possible without the assistance of pain killers, and even taking the pain killers, I still get up in the middle of the night.

Anyway, I’m on an 8 day MC, so I don’t expect for anything exciting to be happening anytime soon. Till the next time. Ciao.

No comments: